Hippocratic Oath




The Hippocratic Oath is a sworn agreement. It is a most important one for the person, who become as a doctor. It isn' t a law, actually it is a guiding principle for doctors. It was written by Hippocratic,the Greek physician who lived from 460 to 377 BC. That was a one of the oldest document in history & it did a great job for the medical doctors. This Hippocratic Oath was changed during the time period from past to present. The new Hippocratic Oath is given below.
             

A new Hippocratic Oath -2013AD

I will make my patient my first concern. I will treat all my patients as individuals, and respect their dignity and right to confidentiality.

I will do my best to help anyone in medical need and ensure the health of patients and the public are protected and promoted.

I will use my medical knowledge to benifite people's health. I will be honest, respectful and compassionate to all.

I will provide a good standard of care,uninfluenced by political ir religious pressure, or the age,race, sexual orientation, social class or wealth of my patient.

I will listen to patients and respond to their concerns. I will give patients information they want or need in a way they can understand.

I will help patients each decisions about their treatment and care and will respect decisions of informed and competent patients, even if treatment is refused.

I will recognize the limits of my knowledge and competence  and seek advice when needed. I will keep my knowledge and skills up to date, and ensure poor standards or bad practices are exposed without delay to those who can improve them.

I will show respect for all those with whom I work and will work with colleagues in a way that best serves the interest of my patients. I will be ready to share my knowledge by teaching others.

I recognize the special value of human life, but I also know that prolonging life is not the only aim of health care.

I will promote fair use of health resources and try to influence positively those whose policies harm public health.

I recognize that I have responsibilities to humankind that transcend diktats and orders of States and which no legislature can countermand. I will oppose health policies that breach internationally accepted standards of human rights.

I will learn from my mistakes and seek help from colleagues to promote patient safety. While keeping within this framework, I will not be discouraged by failure and will try to continue in a spirit of practical and rational optimism.

References :

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butterfly pea

Sri Lankan Traditional Masks

Ceylon Tea